When Was the First Genesis/Megadrive Emulator Created?

Posted on by

Seize the game – carpe ludum! Forums Eidolon’s Tavern When Was the First Genesis/Megadrive Emulator Created?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      dafunk
      Participant

Yes, the question is this as in the title.
      Kega Fusion goes back to the 2004, but what about Kega or the others? I wonder, thanks.

Sith
      Participant

genecyst? But when, hm idk. Google might have the answer.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Sith.
      dafunk
      Participant

Thanks, that was very useful. Google’d it, and found June ’97.

TulioAdriano
      Participant

There was an earlier one. Genecyst was great, but was already “advanced”.

I think there was a GenEM before Genecyst.

Tulio

Eidolon

Yep. I just checked my emulator archive. The first version of Genecyst was released on 30th June 1997. However, GenEm was released already in 1996.

Still, you can call Genecyst the first decent Genesis emulator.

What counts though as well is the usability of the emulator. GenEm had very little compatibility, only very few games worked. Furthermore, development was

Genecyst definitely was the first usable Genesis emulator, and for a bit the best one – until KGen came by on 18th August 1997. The last KGen version 0.34b was for a long time the best Genesis emulator – until Kega Fusion came by. 🙂

King
      Participant

Mmmm, KGen, those were the days.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Genecyst was my first emulation ever. Later on I went with KGen98, faster and sounded more closely to the Megadrive.

I remember reading about an emulator simply called Megadrive, supposedly released around 94. That would make it the oldest console emulator in existence.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.